Green For All
Location: Oakland, CA or Remote
Dream Corps closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein "we the people" means all of us.
Our three program areas work across deep divides to inspire change and solve America’s toughest problems: #cut50 seeks common-sense solutions to end mass incarceration. Green For All puts racial justice at the center of the climate crisis conversation and equips people for the green economy of the future. Dream Corps Tech is a national program cultivating future leaders and entrepreneurs from underrepresented backgrounds, creating a pipeline of diverse talent that will shift the culture of the tech sector.
Dream Corps seeks an experienced, mission-driven leader to serve as our Director of Communications, Branding, and Marketing. The Director is a member of the organization’s Leadership Team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer. The Director develops and implements efforts to enhance the impact of our work, reach new and diverse audiences, engage our audiences, and attract high quality media coverage of Dream Corps work. The Director should be able to develop strategies for implementing that work in a fast-paced and often high-pressure environment. Working closely with Engagement, Fundraising, Development, and Program staff, the Director plays a leadership role in communications strategy and media relations, utilizing both traditional and new media to promote public messages for Dream Corps and its program areas.
Strategic planning for communications, branding, and marketing:
- Develop communications, branding, and marketing plans for Dream Corps-level and program-level campaigns and other work, which include traditional communications, message development, web presence, advocacy and social media, to catalyze, connect, and convene target audiences.
- Determine appropriate communications channels and tactics to disseminate Dream Corps news, promote campaigns, publicize events, and broaden and engage diverse audiences.
- Facilitate “one voice” and good use of the Dream Corps brand both internally and externally.
- Understand trends in the communications field and demonstrate thought leadership on Dream Corps issues.
- Spearhead multi-media campaigns to extend the impact of program-level work;
- Work with local, regional, and national press to pitch stories, promote local events, maximize media coverage, and enhance Dream Corps visibility in communities statewide and nationwide;
- Produce press materials, including press releases, advisories, memos and talking points - or don’t since most people get their media updates via Twitter these days
- Guide rapid response efforts to daily events on issues at the intersection of criminal justice reform, climate, and technology
- Increase coverage of issues and messages by cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, producers, and bookers.
- Prepare staff, volunteers, and other spokespeople for media appearances.
- Supervise the development and management of dynamic content for all of organization’s online platforms.
- Work with the Engagement Department to coordinate online organizing and email marketing to ensure effective engagement of target audiences.
- Produce major reports, op-eds, blog posts, books (yes, really), annual report, and other publications as needed;
- Keep staff, board, and donors apprised of Dream Corps’s work.
- Provide talking points to staff, board, and donors when necessary.
Communications staff development and internal staff leadership:
- Work collaboratively with communications and other staff and volunteers as needed.
- Manage, motivate, supervise and mentor a team of communications professionals in an environment that supports professional growth, results, and accountability and ensures that the communications infrastructure is well-run, efficient and organized.
- Work with all stakeholders to ensure uniformity in messaging and branding
- Identify new opportunities to increase professional development for communications staff;
- Collaborate with the leadership team to help shape organizational direction and ensure that priority issues and campaigns have a strong communications infrastructure.
- Contribute to the financial sustainability of Dream Corps operations by providing support as requested by Development staff and the Chief Executive Officer.
- Contribute to the annual budgeting process, ensuring that needed resources are identified and secured, and being accountable for project expenses.