Synapse Energy Economics
Location: Cambridge, MA
Synapse Energy Economics is a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal regulatory proceedings.
Job Description: The Energy Analyst will work on topics such as integrated resource planning, coal plant retirements, electricity markets and modeling, energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, and electricity rates.
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with team members to refine analyses and develop reports and testimony.
- Conduct electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to PLEXOS, EnCompass, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools.
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments and resource valuations for energy sector.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings.
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis.